The critically acclaimed follow-up of Maria Speth's debut IN DEN TAG HINEIN
When Rita is released from prison, she takes back her children. With the aid of Marc, a US soldier stationed in Germany, she develops something like a normal family life.
Everybody seems to know what a mother is supposed to do and what not. And when she infringes upon these role expectations, massive sanctions are imposed on her. With a view to this, the film gradually unveils a portrait of a woman who claims her mother was never a mother to her. But then she herself has one child after the other and foists them all off on her mother, forcing her to take on the role she denied Rita. Rita’s story thus reflects the plight of past and future generations. Will Rita’s eldest daughter too claim one day that she was never a mother to her?
Awards and Festivals
- Hessischer Film- und Kinopreis 2007
- Berlinale 2007, Internationales Forum des Jungen Films
- Mar de Plata Film Festival 2007 - Silver Actress : Sandra Hüller
- Femina - International Women's Film Festival Rio de Janero
- Karlovy Vary International Film Festival
- Vancouver International Film Festival
- Haifa International Film Festival
- Cinéma Tout Écran Genf
- Festival des deutschen Films Paris