LA ULTIMA PELICULA
(La ultima pelicula)
Raya Martin, Mark Peranson,
An experimental, emotional comedy that relates the end of cinema with the end of the world.
On the eve of the Mayan apocalypse, a filmmaker, along with his local guide, traverse the Yucatán with the idea of making his last movie. After encountering in Chichen Itza a surrealistic gathering of New Agers and Mayan mystics, the filmmaker casts a local TV reporter in his psychedelic Western. After the film is shot, the misunderstood and egomaniacal filmmaker decides to remain in Mexico, editing his masterpiece, forever ...
An experimental, emotional comedy that relates the end of cinema with the end of the world, LA ÚLTIMA PELÍCULA attempts to reimagine the atmosphere and the excitement of the heyday of American independent cinema. Shot with nine different cameras, under the influence of Dennis Hopper’s THE LAST MOVIE and the “nonfiction” film about its editing, THE AMERICAN DREAMER, LA ÚLTIMA PELÍCULA is a critical act combining fiction and documentary, looking backwards and forwards at the same time to create a film about the present. It is an infinite, oneiric gesture that attempts to save cinema with one last gunshot. All errors are intentional.
For LA ÚLTIMA PELÍCULA Filmgalerie 451 holds only the DVD- and cinema-rights for german-speaking territories.
- Oh, sweet irony! Film is still, perversely, alive, even if Raya Martin and Mark Peranson work hard to convince us otherwise. A prize in the spirit of contrarianism, suiting a contrarian film. (Jury rationale Riviera Maya Film Festival 2013)
Awards and Festivals
- Toronto International Film Festival 2013
- Premio Kodak, Premio Riviera Lab - Riviera Maya Film Festival 2013
- Copenhagen International Documentary Film Festival 2013
- Berlinale / Forum Expanded 2014
- Edinburgh International Film Festival 2014